I started out this short series of posts about how getting active was an important part of dealing with my depression and physical health issues. I hope it’s helpful if you are doing anything fitness related. If you missed the first parts, you can check them out: The Cyclist, YK2HR, Swim, Bike, Run, Nap, and Typical Workout. Did you miss my upper body workout or lower body workout?
This post is about “non-negotiable” exercises. The reality is, I negotiate with them all the time but they usually win. I was given the leg exercises as I was recovering from calf injuries. I aim for doing these exercises after each run – 2-3 times a week. They don’t take long to do. I try to stay focused, minimize rest, and get them done. I usually complete 2 sets of 30 reps each for the leg exercises. The core exercises vary but I do strive to reach the point of failure.
- If you want to see your abs, you also have to manage your diet – they’re there, they just need to be uncovered.
- Watch the video below concerning spine health. Work smart and keep yourself from ending up with an injury.
Remember that these work for me. They may not work for you. Your goals may be different than mine and so you may want to do different exercises. If you have any medical issues or injuries, please take care and get some help.
Typical Non-Negotiables and Core Exercises
- Standing Body Weight Calf Raises + Side Leg Raises + Leg Back Kicks
- Bird Dog Plank
- Regular Plank + Side Plank (both sides) + Regular Plank
- Stir the Pot Plank or Mountain Climbers